Saturday, August 4, 2012

The turbo swap

Well as I said, I really wanted more out of the car...so what better way than to do an entire turbo setup swap?

Everything I got for this I pieced together from different places and it actually took quite a long time to come up with my pile-o-parts for her...
Most of this had to be cut to fit especially the I/C piping that isn't pictured here. I went with 3" open downpipe for the exhaust and 2" I/C piping. As you can see from this picture, the new turbo is quite a bit larger...
I also went from an internally wastegated turbo to an external which is one of the main reasons for the upgrade. The one on the gt25r had a nasty habit of sticking open which makes boost a bit of a pain in the ass. After about 12 months of gathering parts(and money...I'm not rich ya know?) it was time to put it all together which proved to be...difficult.
The initial mock-up seemed to fit fine...and then there was this.
Oops. For this one I ended up having to bed the downpipe I had purchased as well as "customizing" an aftermarket thermostat housing...which no longer fits a thermostat in it. I had to cut to fit all the I/C piping as well as "adapt" the oil feed lines together since none of the fittings match up. I had to remove and cut some of the piping that was on the existing CAI and turn it into just a short intake due to fitment issues and went ahead and threw a K&N filter on there while I was at it...

More pictures/updates to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment